What to Expect
The first time you donate you must bring a current photo ID (State ID, Visa, College ID, or a Border Crossing card,) Social Security/boarder crossing card, and proof of your current address (current bill, lease/contract, postmarked piece of mail). Next, we will ask you a few questions about your medical history and take your photo.
The first time you donate (and each year thereafter) you will go through a brief/simple physical examination. During the examination your blood pressure, pulse, and heart beat will be recorded. Also, a series of questions will be asked to make sure you are healthy and eligible to donate.
You are now ready to donate. You will be seated (reclined) and one of our trained staff will extract your plasma into a sterile pooling bottle and then return your red and white cells (this will take between 35-50 minutes.) All the medical supplies used at GCAM are sterile, used only once, and then thrown away. Since you are helping to manufacture a life saving drug you will be compensated for your time. GCAM pays between $25-$30 per donation and donors are able to donate 2 times a week.
Although the plasma proteins reproduce within 24 - 48 hours and plasmapheresis has little to no side effects, it is very important that you take care of yourself after your donation. Having a meal and a large glass of water after each donation will help to replenish plasma and increase energy.
To bring & to know
In order to donate you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65
- Weigh at least 110 lbs
- Be in good health
New Donors Must Bring:
- Social Security Card or a Border Crossing Card
- Valid picture ID (driver's license, student ID, or military ID)
- Proof of residency (bank statement issued within the last 3 months, billing statement within the last 3 months, college enrollment verification, postmarked piece of mail, or a drivers license issued within the last 3 months.)
Preparing to Donate:
- Drink plenty of water before and after your donation
- Do not drink alcoholic and caffeinated beverages within 72 hours of donating
- Eat a balanced meal before donating (Please avoid fatty and high-cholesterol foods)